Doritos are everywhere!
As one of the most popular brands of tortilla chips, a vegan would probably wonder if a bag of Doritos is still something he or she can indulge in.
Well, I have both good and bad news! The good news here is that some Doritos flavors are vegan! However, most are not vegan! Keep reading to find out if your favorite flavor made the list of Vegan Doritos.
Origin of Doritos
Doritos is a famous brand of Tortilla chips originating in the United States. It was first produced back in 1964 by a company that is a wholly owned subsidiary of Pepsico. called Frito-Lay. It wasn’t until 1966 though when Doritos was made available nationally.
When it first came out, Doritos did not have any other flavors available other than the original. This changed when it came out with the Taco flavor in 1967. Since then, various new Doritos flavors have become available in the market.
Back in 1994, Frito Lay made the decision to revamp the design of the Doritos tortilla chip. They made the new chips 20% larger and thinner and the corners rounded.
BONUS: To learn how to make your very own homemade, vegan friendly chips; check out the video below!
To Doritos Or Not To Doritos
As I have mentioned before, some Doritos are vegan but it all depends on what flavor.
In the current roster of Doritos, there are some varieties that vegans should avoid mainly because they contain animal by-products such as cheese and ranch. Take note of the following varieties that you should NOT be picking up at your favorite supermarket:
- COLLISIONS™ BLAZE® and Ultimate Cheddar
- Nacho Cheese
- COOL RANCH®
- DINAMITA® Chile Limón
- Poppin Jalapeno
- Spicy Nacho
- Simply Organic Spicy White Cheddar
- Simply Organic White Cheddar
- Blazin’ Buffalo and Ranch
- JACKED™ Ranch Dipped Hot Wings
- Salsa Verde
- Toasted Corn
As for the Doritos varieties that you should snag the next time you are craving for some tortilla chips, get following below because they are Vegan-Friendly.
When you take a look at their respective ingredients below, it seems that there is nothing there that jumps out and screams “non-vegan friendly”.
- BLAZE™: Corn, Vegetable Oil (Sunflower, Corn, and/or Canola Oil), Salt, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Maltodextrin (Made From Corn), Sugar, Spices, Dextrose, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Jalapeño Pepper Powder, Tomato Powder, Monosodium Glutamate, Modified Corn Starch, Artificial Color (Red 40 Lake)
- Spicy Sweet Chili: Corn, Salt, Vegetable Oil (Corn, Canola, and/or Sunflower Oil), Sugar, Fructose, Monosodium Glutamate, Sodium Diacetate, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Soy Sauce (Soybean, Wheat, Salt), Maltodextrin (Made from Corn), Hydrolyzed Corn Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Torula Yeast, Caramel Color, Malic Acid, Spices, Extractives of Paprika, Dextrose, Disodium Guanylate, Disodium Inosinate, Natural Flavor
I’m not sure how I feel about sugar being on the list of ingredients, as many of us vegans now that bone char is used in the refining process of most sugar out there.
However Blaze and Sweet Spicy Doritos are vegan according to a Doritos sales representative. Check out his/her response below when I asked if Doritos were vegan:
I also would like to point that the long list of ingredients in Doritos; and how sugar, salt, and oil are the top. This is definitely not good! I want to encourage you to make healthy choices.
I understand that sometimes we get the munchies and crave for chips, and that’s ok, but there lots of healthier choices out there for you to choose from. Here is a list I created of the top vegan chips I would much rather you pick up: CLICK HERE
We all know that by becoming a vegan, there are certain foods that we have to give up eating. However, if Doritos is one of your faves, you still have that two flavors that you can treat yourself to!
Apart from Doritos, do you know other vegan tortilla chips that we can munch on? Let us know all about them by leaving your recommendations below! Or you can also share this on your social media platform of choice!