Some like running, others might enjoy biking or swimming. But, is spinning the best way to lose weight?
If you are looking for something fun that will also burn calories, then the answer to that question could be yes! Spinning is a great way to get in shape and is an awesome form of cardio.
I myself have a Peloton bike at home that I use most nights while watching my favorite Netflix show. And while this is the only exercise I get, it helps me maintain my weight.
In this post, we will discuss why spinning might also be the best option for you!
Is Spinning The Best Way To Lose Weight?
The best exercise to lose weight is going to be the one you like doing the most because you’re going to be more likely to stick with it and keep it up.
However, spinning does have many advantages. The primary one being that it is a good calorie-burner.
However, the amount of calories you burn is dependant on your weight and intensity. For example, a 150-pound person can burn about 250-800 per hour spinning. The harder and longer you spin, the more calories you will burn!
Keep in mind that in order to lose weight, you need to burn more calories than you take in per day.
Is Spinning Or Running Better For Weight Loss?
Although running has a slighter edge on calorie burn per minute, the difference if almost insignificant. So, if your goal is just to exercise regularly then either activity will suffice; just choose the one that excites you the most!
Some things to consider though are that spinning is more gentle on your joints than running.
Also, spinning can help you better tone your muscles if you practice interval training (varying the resistance and cadence on your stationary bike), as opposed to if you just run on a flat surface.
One clear advantage of running though is that it is free. Unless you are planning on using a treadmill, you can just walk out of your home and run around the block. On the other hand, if you want to spin you will have to pay either for a stationary bike, and/or spin classes at a gym or online.
How Often Should I Spin To Lose Weight?
In order to lose weight, you should spin at least 3 times a week. I would not do it every day though, as your body also needs time to rest. It is important to note that you should not over-exert yourself when doing this exercise.
If you are new to spinning, it is best to start with 25 or 30 minutes and increase your time as you get better.
A good spin session is about 45 minutes long, but you can do shorter sessions and more often if it is hard for you to set aside a 45-minutes at a time.
Ultimately though, how often or how long you need to spin to lose weight comes down to how many calories do you need to burn to be in a calorie deficit at the end of the day.
Does Cycling Burn Fat On Stomach, Thighs?
You can’t spot-reduce fat. In other words, you can’t lose weight in one specific area of your body.
You also can’t magically change the distribution of your fat by doing a certain type of exercise or by wearing a special product that claims to target an individual part of your body.
When you lose weight, you lose weight all over your body. That is how the science of weight loss works for every single person on this planet – whether they are male or female, young or old.
How Long Does It Take To See Results From Spinning?
When trying to lose weight it is easy to become impatient, but losing weight is not easy. The good news is that you don’t have to spend hours each day spinning to lose weight.
There are 3,500 calories in a pound. So, if you burn 500 calories more each day, you can lose 1 pound per week. If you combine a healthy plant-based diet and exercise, in a month you can realistically lose about 6-10 pounds when adding spinning to your daily routine, but these depend on many factors.
My advice for you is to lose weight at a sustainable pace, so it doesn’t feel like torture or like you are depriving yourself too much.
Why Am I Not Losing Weight Despite Spinning?
These are some reasons why you might not be losing weight even though you have taken up spinning:
- You are taking it too easy on your spinning workout. Try increasing the speed, resistance, or time to see some results.
- You are consuming too many calories. Don’t make the mistake of thinking that just because you’re burning calories spinning you can eat anything you want or eat more throughout the day.
- You might be overestimating the calories you are burning. This is a common mistake people make when trying to lose weight. The number of calories burned shown on your stationary bike or your fitness tracker is not very accurate.
- Switch it up. If you don’t switch up the intensity of your workout, your body will become used to it and not have to try very hard anymore. I recommend that you add some type of strength training routines besides just doing spinning.
What Are The Benefits Of spinning?
Besides weight loss, spinning has many other benefits. Some of those include:
- It’s a great option for staying active year-round, no matter the weather outside – rain or snow.
- You are burning calories safely indoors and avoiding a bike accident on the street.
- It’s a social activity. You can find it motivating to attend spinning classes while meeting friends who are in the same boat as you.
- Online communities, such as the Peloton group on Facebook, are very active, and you can find tons of tips for losing weight, ask questions, and receive support.
- It is low impact, so this makes it a good choice for those who want to stay active but suffer from joint problems.
- It strengthens your cardiovascular system since your heart rate increases when you’re working up a sweat spinning.
- Spinning can be relatively inexpensive. You can buy a cheap but good enough spin bike on Amazon. Or you can buy a used one on Facebook Marketplace or the Letgo app.
- If you have a spin bike at home, you can save a lot of time (this is my favorite benefit). There is no need to get ready and drive to the gym. You can even exercise in your sweats or even pajamas if you like.
What Are The Best Tips For Getting Started With Spinning?
If you are just getting started with spinning, introduce yourself to your spinning class instructor. He or she will show you what to do in order to get the most out of your workout.
If you are going solo with a spin bike at home, go through this list witch contains some beginner tips for spinning:
- Adjust your spin bike correctly. You might need to move the sit up or down, or the handlebars forward or backward. It will mostly depend on your height. Don’t skip this step to avoid any injury. Search for a YouTube video that will teach you how to do this.
- Watch your posture. Make sure you are not slouching and that your back is straight. Your elbows should be slightly bent and relaxed; don’t lock them, and don’t flare them.
- Spin in the morning. This is the time of day when your body is rested, you are refreshed, and you have more energy. Therefore you will most likely burn more calories.
- Don’t Spin on an empty stomach. Eat a snack1/2 to an hour before you exercise, or else you won’t have enough energy and you will not burn as many calories as you could of.
- Don’t skip the warm-up. Start with a light intensity for five minutes or so. Otherwise, you might get injured. This will also give you time to get comfortable and adjust the settings on your bike.
- Find an instructor you connect with. Whether is a live instructor at a gym, online class, or an app, find one that is a good fit for your personality.
- Let go of expectations. Embrace and enjoy the ride. Don’t worry if you feel self-conscious about being new in a class. Finally, give yourself time to work up to higher intensities, in the beginning just give it all you got!
- Learn how to clip-out and clip-in. This can be tricky at the beginning, but you will eventually get used to it. Tip: I don’t share my spin bike with anyone at home, so I leave the shoes clipped-in.
For more tips check out my blog post “How To Workout To Lose Weight!”
The Top 3 Best Spin Bikes To Invest In
There is not one bike that fits all. Here are the top 3 I recommend:
- Best Overall: Peloton Bike
- Best Budget: Yosuda Indoor Cycling Bike
- Best Quality: Schwinn A.C. Performance Carbon Blue
These bikes are all very good investments. Peloton is the best if you want to join an online class, but it is a bit pricey. Yosuda is great for those who are beginners and reliable. The Schwinn is the most expensive, but its quality is top-notch and it comes with a lifetime replacement parts warranty!
Spinning is a great way to stay active, lose weight, and have fun. It is also a low-impact so is perfect for those who suffer from joint problems or are just getting started with exercise.
You can use the spin bike at home or you could go to your local gym where there are typically many classes offered.
Check out the top 3 bikes I recommend above. It will be a good investment in your health!
Start with easy intensity until you increase your stamina! But today, just start pedaling!